Addison is an active and committed mental health advocate after losing his brother to cancer, finding his father after suicide, and surviving a fatal accident that killed a dear friend. Attributing his ability to not only survive but thrive with PTSD and compounded grief to the value of coaching and connection. Before becoming head of brand and impact at tethr, Addison founded and led his own conscious consulting company, AddiConnect, and has worked for and created a series of companies dedicated to creating meaningful content in a variety of mediums, including film and television. Addison takes every opportunity to urge men to invest in themselves, and their mental well-being, long before a life event deems it absolutely necessary.
Addison joins me today to discuss mental health and ways we can better support individuals in crisis. He shares his personal tragedies and traumas and how he was able to work through his grief with the help of his friends and family. Addison teaches about the five pillars of peer support and how we can use these tools to help express ourselves and provide effective support. He also draws attention to the men’s mental health crisis and how tethr is trying to normalize emotional support groups for men and reduce male suicide rates.
“”93% of men don’t identify with masculinity the way it’s portrayed publicly. 93%. So that’s basically all of us!”– Addison Brasil
This week on Rebel Souls:
- Rebelling FOR everyone to normalize their ability to share their true story
- How Addison coped with traumatic experiences in his life
- How Addison connected with his future business partner, Matt Zerker, over tragedy
- Discussing the men’s mental health crisis and what Addison is trying to do to prevent suicides
- Breaking down the five pillars of peer support
- How peer supporters help us cultivate a sense of community to help us thrive.
- Approaching your mental health with a sense of humor
- Why we need to learn to empathize with other people’s language
- Acknowledging when to bring in a crisis counselor and why that’s not your job
- Asking what does support look like for you in a crisis?
- How the tethr community works to help normalize emotional support for men
Connect with Addison:
- Tethr Store
- Addison on Facebook
- Addison on Instagram
- Addison on LinkedIn
- Tethr on Instagram
- Tethr on LinkedIn
- Tethr on Facebook
- Tethr on Twitter
Liberate Your Soul & Join the Rebelution
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Rebel Souls with your host, Shelley Paxton, the podcast dedicated to helping leaders reject the status quo, liberate their soul, and become a lifelong rebel. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts to subscribe to the show and leave a review. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram and share your favorite episodes across social media. And for more great content and information, visit our website and grab your copy of Soulbbatical: A Corporate Rebel’s Guide to Finding Your Best Life.